The British Council, Nuffic and ECHO are launching a new mentoring programme for first generation students and students from communities of colour in the Netherlands that are considering studying abroad.
The programme aims to:
• Provide students with a supportive environment to assist them to take up a study abroad experience.
• Increase confidence through developing a sense of belonging within a mentoring group.
• Increase people’s understanding and beliefs of the opportunities available to them.
• Develop coaching skills of mentor, which will be valuable skills as they grow in their careers.
What is included?
People taking part in the programme will be provided with:
- A welcome event including the opportunity to meet all Mentors and Students taking part in the programme. The welcome event will include a workshop on Study Abroad preparation and what to expect from the programme.
- A panel session with UK Alumni on their experience of studying abroad on the topic of ‘what did I learn from my time abroad’.
- Four mentoring sessions led by two Mentors who will provide an informal space to discuss concerns, ways to overcoming challenges, develop plans for studying abroad and develop your confidence to take up opportunities. Mentor are trained not in giving the answer, but in providing a supportive space for Students to work together to come up with solutions.
- A closing panel session on next steps.
People taking part will be able to access Study UK events and information and wider British Council opportunities.
How do I get involved?
Registration for Students is open from 1 December 2023 - 14 January 2024. Find out how to join the Study Abroad Mentoring Programme as a Student.
About our partners
Nuffic is the Dutch organisation for internationalisation in education. Nuffic's ambition is for all pupils and students in the Netherlands to have the opportunity to acquire international competencies to prepare them for the society and labour market of the future and ensure that they are ready to tackle global challenges. In addition, one of Nuffic's goals is for a greater and more diverse group of students to have an international experience, either through studies or an internship abroad.
ECHO is the Dutch Centre for Diversity Policy, focusing on equity, diversity and inclusion in (higher) education and the labour market. ECHO focuses on cultural diversity from an intersectional perspective and facilitates the process of "getting comfortable with the uncomfortable". Initially established by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science, ECHO is now an independent "not-for-profit" social enterprise with over 25 years of experience and international networks in equity, diversity and inclusion.