The Study Abroad Mentoring Programme is a new programme organised by the British Council, Nuffic and ECHO aimed at first generation students and students from communities of colour. Find out more about the programme and how to join as a Student.
What will I gain from taking part?
- A supportive environment to assist you on your journey to a study abroad experience.
- Increased confidence through developing a sense of belonging within supportive peer network.
- Increased understanding of the opportunities available to you.
- Insight and community with UK Alumni
How do I know that I can take part as a student?
- You are a first-generation student and/or
- You are from a community of colour
- You are currently studying in the Netherlands at a university or university of applied sciences.
- You recently completed a degree at a Dutch university or university of applied sciences.
- You are interested in studying outside of the Netherlands as part of future studies.
If you would like to take part but don’t see yourself in the statements above but feel like you are missing the support you need to study abroad, then please get in contact with us. We will provide flexibility or can signpost you to other support.
Our Mentors will all have had experience of studying in the UK. Please note that you do not need to want to study in the UK.
What is the timeline of the programme?
- Registration for Students: 1 December 2023 - 14 January 2024
- Welcome meeting with all Mentors and Students: March 2024
- (Online) mentoring sessions: March – May 2024
- Closing session: May/June 2024.
How do I get involved?
Apply online through our short application form. We might contact you by phone or email afterwards to confirm your details or clarify part of your application.
For more information or questions, please contact Anna Devi Markus at the British Council.
Download the flyer with information for students in English or Dutch below.