Share your creative vision for a greener planet!
British Council Netherlands, the British Embassy The Hague and Museon invite you to take part in an art competition. Share your creative ideas for a greener, cleaner planet Earth! In October this year, the United Kingdom is hosting COP26, the 2021 edition of the United Nations annual climate change conference. United Nations climate change conferences are among the largest international meetings in the world. More than 190 world leaders will come together to tackle the challenge of climate change. In the run up to this major gathering, we want to hear YOUR voice! What is your vision for a green and sustainable future of our planet?
Who can take part?
The competition is open to pupils in secondary education in the Netherlands from years 1-3 at VMBO, HAVO and VWO schools and pupils aged 12-15 at international and British schools in the Netherlands.
How to take part?
Create an artwork in a format of your own choosing. This could be a painting, drawing, sculpture, poem, short story, song, video, or any other creative idea you may have. Please note that the final work, including written submissions, should fall within dimensions of minimum A4 and maximum A3. Videos can have a maximum length of 3 minutes.
In addition to the guidelines on size, you should choose one of the themes below for your artwork to respond to. The themes are directly linked to a selection of the Sustainable Development Goals, a collection of 17 global goals designed as instructions to achieve a peaceful and sustainable future for everyone on the planet.
- Climate Action (SDG 13): take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Life Below Water (SDG 14): conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Life on Land (SDG 15): protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Select your favourite theme from the three options above.
- Choose the format you want to use for your artwork.
- Create your personal artwork and use your imagination to show us your vision for a green planet!
- Submit your artwork digitally (scan, photo, document or video) to email@example.com including a complete Consent Form signed by your parent or guardian. If your files exceed the size of 5MB, please send us your file using WeTransfer.
Nine winners will be selected by an expert jury panel. For each theme a winner from each age group/year will be chosen. The nine winners will see their artworks displayed at an online exhibition at Museon. They are also invited to the festive opening of the exhibition, including a tour of the Museon and an interactive Q&A with a young climate advocate on Thursday 28 October 2021 in The Hague.
The deadline to submit your artwork is Sunday 17 October 2021. The nine lucky winners will be informed on Thursday 21 October 2021.
Get in touch
Are you interested in taking part in the competition, or are you a teacher with a group of pupils that want to submit an artwork? Send a quick e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you're planning to participate, and we will send you some inspiration for the project, including teaching materials that are part of our Climate Connection programme!